Aviatrix shares her recipe for a healthy snack when you’re on the run:
“I’m on the road all the time and find it really hard to keep my eating on track, so many quick but over processed foods close at hand but where are the quick healthy snacks? Well I found these cookies at my gym’s lunch bar and through trial and error have come up with a recipe of my own that I find works really well and freezes nicely. I eat these in rushed mornings and throw one in my purse if my day appears hectic. I always take them on the airplane with me because the customs agents don’t ever confiscate them. Also, if you have kids, the chocolate chip and jam flavors are sure to please even the pickiest eaters.”
Protein Thumb Print Cookies
(Makes 12 cookies)
- 3 cups Oats (quick oats work well but I have also tried steel-cut oats but pre-cooked them in the microwave and they turned out great)
- 3 scoops whey protein powder (I used Xtreme Protein Fusion Matrix)
- 2 cups 2% cottage cheese (you could also substitute Greek yogurt which is also really high in protein)
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups unsweetened apple sauce
- double fruit jam
- natural peanut butter (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 F
- Combine oats, whey protein and chocolate chips.
- Then mix in cottage cheese, it is easiest to use your hands.
- Add apple sauce to get a moist mixture that can form balls.
- Form balls, place on Pam coated cookie sheet and create small well in each for the jam to be filled after cooked.
- Cook 10-12 min, they tend to be on the dry side
*Cookies freeze well