I’ve been wanting to make this recipe for a while now, however having my cookie sheets packed away in the turmoil of moving is causing some slight difficulties in making this all happen. Bacon is a very popular additive/ accompaniment for many dishes these days. In preparation for Baconfest coming up I thought I would share it even without the test drive, cause let’s be honest the name just sounds too good not to!
(from Cooks Illustrated)
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate bar, diced into 1/4″ pieces
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons milk chocolate, grated
- 1 cup bacon that’s been fried until crispy and diced into roughly 1/4″ pieces
Put your oven rack in the middle and heat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk 1 3/4 cups flour with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Set this aside.
Fry and cut up bacon to 1/4″ pieces (Try a maple or hickory bacon for flavour)
Melt butter in glass bowl and add butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoon vanilla.
Add eggs and mix well, chop dark chocolate and grate the milk chocolate. Mix chocolate and bacon into mixture, add flour last
Using a teaspoon, place a heaping teaspoon of cookie dough on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-14 minutes (Keep the middle soft)